A Banana Bread Classic turns Gluten Free
I created my gluten free banana bread from my long time favourite banana bread recipe. This weekend all the family is it town. So I planned to make a banana bread for our family picnic day but found out some of my relative are allergic to gluten. This recipe is my gluten free interpretation of one of my favourite every cakes. A rich and moist banana bread.
I love that not a soul could pick that this was not my regular banana bread. It is just delicious and amazing.
It interesting that if you do not tell people that what you are cooking is “healthy or plant based or gluten-free, wholegrain or has some other healthy variation they often can not tell the difference. Take the time to find delicious recipes with great textures and you will always give your friends and family and satisfying healthy alternative to what are often unhealthy classics.
Support Your Local Green Grocer for the Best Bananas
I make my Chunky Gluten Free Banana Bread every time I buy a batch of smoothie bananas. Smoothie Bananas are my secret weapons to heathy baking and healthy eating and great deserts and smoothies. Go and have a chat with your local green grocer. Fruit and vegetable stores will often have bananas that just get too ripe to sell for regular eating. Ripe bananas most often get sold at a lower price to clear out. Give local business your support. Buy Local.
Ask your green grocer to keep aside some very ripe bananas for making smoothies and cakes. The ones you want are those that are starting to turn darker. Don’t rush you bananas for smoothies and baking. Their health benefits increase as they ripen so I wait until the are very speckled and browning and then peel them all in one go. Put a couple aside for your cake and put the rest into a large container and freezer. These frozen bananas are ideal for cakes, smoothies and desserts. Why not try my Chocolate Mousse Slice On a Nutty Base for another great banana idea.
Chuncky gluten free Banana bread
- large mixing bowl
- Preheat your oven to 170 degC and highly oil an heavy loaf tin then line with baking paper.
- Sift the Gluten Free Flour, baking powder, Bi-carb Soda and Salt into a large and heavy mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the rapadura sugar and the eggs until they cream then slowly add the macadamia oil while whisking. You can make this cake using a cake mixer or a bowl and wisk. Add the milk and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the flour mix into the Egg mix and fold in slowly.
- Cut one of the bananas to form long 5mm thick oval discs. Keep about 1/2 the banana for that purpose. Put these aside to later top the loaf. Roughly mash the remaining 1 1/2 of the bananas and add to the batter. Roughly stir in.
- Pour the cake batter into the loaf tin and lay the banana discs diagonally across the top. Place the loaf tin into the oven and bake at 170 degC for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer that pierces the loaf removes mostly clean.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and cool 10 minutes in the tin. Remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. Do not be tempted to cut the cake while it is still hot as this will cause it to collapse.