Do you know those really cold and wet winter mornings? Today is one of those and this Turmeric Chai Porridge is my antidote, it is a deliciously warming breakfast to get the day started on a cold and wet weekend. Sometimes you just need something a little special to get your day started.
On those cold winters days I love to find some real healthy comfort food to give you a great start. We have all eaten porridge to get the day started. I love hearty rolled oats cooked into a porridge oats then topped with banana and nuts.
I have a bag of the Eclipse Organics Turmeric Chai Spice mix that I use in my smoothie most days. This is another of the Eclipse Organics spice blends that has an amazing vibrant flavour . It is the flavour of Indian chai spices with and extra touch of turmeric for some super health benefits.
I climbed out of bed this morning and put on the jug. While the jug was boiling I grabbed the oats out of the cupboard and tossed a cup into a saucepan on the stove. I love to dry roast my oats for a few minutest to add a richer flavour to my porridge. Following that I grabbed my milk, I personally prefer soy milk as it is very high in protein and tastes great, and added it to the oats with the boiled water.
With the basics of this turmeric chai porridge done, now you can get create. I tossed in a couple of teaspoons of the Turmeric Chai spice mix with typical Indian additions; currants, cashews and pepitas. The perfect way to eat this is to enjoy with natural yoghurt.
Turmeric Chai Porridge
- Boil water.
- Add the rolled oats to a medium saucepan. If you like while the water is boiling, dry toast the oats for about 3 minutest on medium-high heat until fragrant. Toss in the spices and salt and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Set aside a few pepitas and currents for garnish.
- Toss all the remaining ingredients including milk and water into the pot and stir to mix. Bring to the boil and then reduce to low heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the oats are tender.
- If you a wetter prorridge add more water during cooking as desired. If you prefer dryer, cook for more time
- To serve, spoon into a bowl and top with yoghurt and sprinke with the saves pepitas and currants.