These Mexican homemade beans are the best refried bean I have eaten. These Mexican refried beans are so quick you will have then on your table in under 20minutes when using precooked beans. They are naturally gluten-free, totally plant based and taste so much better than anything out of a can.
The Best Refried Beans with Fresh Salsa
- Frying pan
FOR COOKING THE BEANS
- 250 g Borlotti Beans or Pinto, Red Kidney or others
TO RE-FRY THE BEANS
- 1 tbsp corriander leaf chopped
- 1 tbsp preserved jalapeno whole or diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
COOK THE BEANS (or use 500g pre-cooked or canned beans). I cook the beans in large 500g batches then use half and put half in freezer in the original bag to use later.
- Add the beans to a pot with 1 litre of stock. Add half the Cumin, Oregano and Chilli. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to simmer for 1 ot 1½ hours or until soft.
RE-FRY THE BEANS
- Heat 1 tablespoonof the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté 5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and sauté another minutes or two.
- Add in the borlotti beans, veggie stock, chili, cumin and oregano, and mix well. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and use a potato masher or a wooden spoon to mash the beans. Keep mashing to your preferred texture. You can puree in a food processor to make them really smooth but I prefer to do this manually.
- Stir in the remaining tablespoon of oil. Taste and season the beans with lime juice, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve warm, topped with any garnishes you might like.