Rejuvenating Veggie Broth Stock
Every cook need a great stock. My rejuvinating healthy vegetarian stock is loaded with of healthy properties and flavour from healing herbs, veggies and spices. A great stock can take any dish from ordinary to awesome.
A Broth or stock is a liquid added to many recipes. In particularly homemade and one pot meals, to give flavour and substance. They come in many forms and can be made using a great range of ingredinets.
A healthy vegetarian stock is the base to any delicious soup or it can be used as a satisfying hot beverage just as it is. I use a stock when I cook rice or grains in a rissoto or when making a rich flavoured indian dhal. Even a simple rice side dish shines if cooked in a healthy vegetarian stock.
So, if you use a stock so often, why not make it an awesome flavoured and great healthy vegetarian stock or broth? The base of this recipe was insipred by a healing ancient Indian ayrvedic recipe using the rejuvenating herb Ashawaganda. After making my original recipes a few times, a Chinese friend inspire me to add goji berries. A handful of Goji berries are regularly tossed into a soup or slow cooked Chinese dish to add healing properties.
I make a batch of this Rejuvenating healthy vegetarian stock Broth and store it in 1 litre containers in my freezer. Every time a need stock for a recipe I have some on hand. The easy thing is that most recipes call for 2 cups (half a litre) or a litre of stock.
Give this stock recipe a try to added healing and rejuvenating properties to many of the meals you cook.
- 1 tsp Oil, olive
- 1 large Onion, mature, brown skinned, peeled, raw
- 1 tsp Salt, Fine Pink Himalayan
- 1 knob Ginger, peeled, raw
- 4 cloves Garlic, peeled, raw
- 20 g Stock Broth, Starter, Ashwagandha & Goji
- 3 medium Carrot, mature, peeled, raw
- 3 sticks Celery, raw
- 6 small Mushroom, common, raw
- 4 ltr Water
How to prepare
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot. Add the onions and salt and cook on medium-high heat until the onions start to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger for another minute. Add the Ashawaganda Stock Broth Herbs and all the remaining vegetables. Stiring frequently for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in the water. The less water the more flavour. I prefer 4 litres. Bring the stock to the boil. Cover and lower the heat to a simmer. Leave to cook for 1 hour.
- Turn off the heat. Let the stock rest until cool, about 1-2 hours. Strain through a fine sieve to remove the solids, even use a cheese cloth for a very lean broth. Press the vegetables to get the most liquid.
- Well done. Your rejuvinating stock broth is ready. Get four 1 litre containers and divide the stock between each container. Some of the original liquid will have evaporated. I top up each with some extra water to make up to 1 litre. This makes each ideal for future recipes.
- Use some right away or freeze and use as needed in other recipes.