Southern fried oyster mushrooms have to be one of the best textured and amazing spiced foods you will eat. Southern fried chicken Is one of the most popular foods in the world. This plant based version is even better than the original version.
I am not a fan of deep fried food, in fact I never fry food at home and try to avoid it. The awesome thing is that you can make a great version of souther fried oyster mushrooms that are oven baked or looking in an air fryer with a simple spray of oil.
Southern Fried Oyster Mushrooms
- Air fryer
THE PLANT BUTTERMILK
- Make the plant butter milk by adding the apple cider vinegar to the plant milk. Let it stand for 5 minutes while it starts to separate and thicken.
- Cut the base of the mushroom stem and pull each branch apart. Put each branch into the plant based butter milk and let it marrinade for 15 minutes.
THE SOUTHERN FRIED OYSTER MUSHROOMS
- Crush the cornflakes into a bowl. Add the flour and the southern fried herb and spice mix. Mix well to combine.
- Drain the mushroom, keeping the buttermilk to use for a second coating if wanted. Cover each mushroom branch in the cornflakes mix. and set aside. Repeat for each of the oyster mushroom branches.
- If you want a thicker crust you can double batter the mushrooms by dipping into the buttermilk then the flour mixture agian.
HOW TO COOK – Oven Baked
- Oven Baked – Preheat the oven to 180°C. Sray or brush the mushrooms with a little oil. Place the mushrooms onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Air Fried – Spray or brush the mushrooms with oil. Place in the airfryer and fry for 12-18 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- Deep Fried – Preheat the oil. Test the heat by dropping a small peice of batter into the oil. It is ready when the test batter raised to the surface.
- Place a few of the mushrooms into the oil and fry until they are golden brown. Remove and repeat until all are cooked.