A Classic Family Orange Cake is Born Again
My grandmother used to make me a paleo orange cake. Do you remember your favourite cake as a kid? This is mine. I don’t have a copy of the original recipe but I have created my version that brings back the memory my grandmother gave to me. It has that slight bitter sweet taste and an amazing moist texture.
I raided my neighbours orange tree this week. It was loaded with oranges that are starting to carpet the ground at the base of the tree. I ate a lot and I made juice but right now as I am waiting for this cake to come out of the oven. As that smell fills my house, I can’t wait to eat it, this cake is going to be fantastic with raw cashew cream.
This New Cake Flour Brings back a Family Classic
When it comes to fruit cakes, this paleo orange cake is up there with the best. When I was recreating this recipe I tried almond meal but thought it needed somethings more. I came up with my All Purpose Paleo Flour Blend of nuts, seeds, coconut flour with tapioca and a touch of psyllium. Now, with this paleo flour I created a delicious and moist cake.
I make a lot of cakes. I really love baking and I love how you create something so spectacular from simple ingredients. My Dad always encouraged us as a family to eat healthy. When I was young I worked out that Mum’s healthy cakes, biscuits and slices just had more flavour than other snacks.
Then as I grew up I realised how lucky I was to have a passion for baking really health and tasty cakes and snacks. I also realised that what is normal for me is not what most other people grew up with. I hope you enjoy the recipes I love to create. If you do please share this recipe and help spread more healthy recipes into the wider world. I love to be and do different. I hope we can inspire a few others out there to do thinks a bit different too.
Paleo Orange Cake
- Food Processor
- Heavy Sauce Pan
- Large Spring Form Tin
- Put the two oranges into a saucepan, cover with water and simmer on the stove for 2 hours. Remove from the water and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 170degC and line the base of a 25cm spring form cake tin with baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the Flour, Paleo, All Purpose with the baking powder and vanilla powder.
- Put the whole oranges into a food processor with the 6 eggs, apple cider vinegar and the coconut sugar. Process for 2 minutes. The mixture will turn to a pale yellow. Add the flour mixture into the food processor with the orange blend. Process further until all well combined.
- Tip the Orange Paleo Cake mixture into the lined cake tin and place the tin into the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden on the top of the cake. When cooked, allow to cool five minutes before removing the cake from the tin. Allow to cool before eating.
- A slice of this cake is delicious just as it is with tea or coffee or served with fresh Raw Cashew Cream for desert.