Do you sometimes want that sense of indulgence but know you need to eat healthy? We are doing the best to eat well these days and I created these banana and apple paleo ring cakes when I wanted that Moorish healthy snack . These paleo ring cakes are great for dessert, a healthy snack and even for breakfast!
Absolutely! Breakfast. What I love about these banana and apple paleo ring cakes is that there is absolutely no added sugar, just fresh apples and banana for natural sweetness, blended with almond butter, all purpose paleo flour and fresh free-range eggs. I buy my eggs from Dave and his families little family farm called Pasture Peckers, just up the mountain from us. Search for a supplier in your area.
You can make this recipe into 10 single ring cakes, 8 medium muffins or 1 large ring or loaf cake. I love these ring tins. They are smaller than a muffin and faster to cook
Give these single serve ring cake tins a go, they leave an indent that I loaded with fresh diced strawberries and coconut yoghurt.
Ok, here is my two cooking tips to make cooking a breeze and enjoyable. Firstly, take a few deep breaths and get into that relaxed cooking zone and second is to pre-measure all the ingredients you will use in the recipe. I use a few extra bowls and cups but it helps me get all my ingredients sorted. Now when I go through the recipe steps, it is so simple to toss in each ingredient with no stress. It makes cooking as easy as it looks on tv.
This recipe is so simple to make. I toss all the dry ingredients into a bowl and give then a good mix then put to the side. I mash the banana and grate the apple so it is ready to go. Then I beat the wet ingredients together. After you have these steps all done it is as simple as adding them all together and giving them a good mix. It is really that easy!
You will see that my mixture is not too heavy. This lighter batter will give us delicious and light cakes once they are baked. Spoon the mixture evenly into each of the tins and tap lightly to even out the mixture.
Toss the filled cake ring tins into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutest or until a skewer pierced into the centre comes out clean. This is a short cook time as the there is no centre. Muffins will take about 20-25 minutes to get the centre cooked. A full size cake or loaf will take 40-45 minutes to cook. With either method the skewer test is always best. Don’t overcook or they will get dry.
One I let these light, delicious, banana and apple paleo ring cakes cool down I take them to the next level. Fill them with diced strawberries and coconut yoghurt. These babies are sensational! The freshness of the yoghurt and berries is wonderful against the crunchy edges and rich moist centre of this paleo cake.
I made these for dessert but enjoyed just as much, or even more for morning tea the next morning. I think these are going on my list of things I MUST cook regularly. These cakes are indulgence and health combined together. I plan on eating these for breakfast next time I bake.
Banana and Apple Paleo Ring Cakes
Strawberry and Coconut Filling
- 10 large fresh strawberries
- ½ cup coconut yoghurt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup optional
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Well oil one large or 10 single serve ring tins or 8 medium muffins tin. A light sprinkle of flour will help reduce sticking.
- Combine your dry ingredients; paleo flour, cinnamon, baking powder, bi-carb soda and salt, until well mixed.
- Beat together the banana, nut butter, eggs, oil and vanilla in a cake mixer or food processor. Mix in the grated apple until combined in the wet mixture.
- Add the dry mixture and mix for about a minute or until well mixed.
- If you use single ring tins place them on a baking tray. Now scoop the paleo cake mixture evenly into your well oiled cake tins.
- Place the tins in your preheated oven and bake for 15 minutest for single ring tins, 20-25 minutes if you are using a medium muffin tin. For a full ring cake or loaf, bake for 33-40 minutes or until a skewer poked into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and flip the tins over to cool upside down on a wire rack.
Strawberry and Coconut Yoghurt
- Dice eight of the strawberries and fold into your yoghurt.
- Spoon the filling evenly into the centres of the ring cakes.