Do you love a quick and simple meal. I know I do. My classically modern pesto is another one of those simple classic recipes that I can toss together in minutes with an abundance of flavour.
I was out in our backyard throwing a ball with Olly my German Short Haired Pointer. I noticed a bunch of basil needed to be picked. Then I thought it was now or never. I pulled up the basil plant with one simple things in mind. A classic pesto. What better to do with a generous bunch of basil. Pesto; So simple, so quick, so perfect.
My favourite way to use my modern pesto is to pair it with a my delicate hand made gluten free pasta. I simply spoon the pesto over the pasta and gently fold them together. It is that simple.
I spent 10 years living in Milan Italy where I was blessed to have met a Italian Nona who used to live in my apartment. What I learned most from her what the simplicity of great Italian cooking. You take the highest quality fresh ingredients and put them together in simple combinations. If you always keep these two thinks in mind you are already one step ahead in your cooking journey.
Classically Modern Pesto
- Sharp knife
- Chopping Board
- Pestle and Mortar
- Dry toast the Pine Nuts in a frying pan on a hot heat until golden (about 5 minutes)
- You can follow this one step using a food processor. Following is the directions I prefer when uising a pestle and mortar.Roughly chop parmesan and add it to a food processor with all other ingredients. Process until all well broken down to a rough texture.
- Put the basil into pestle with the salt, pepper and garlic and roughly grind with the mortar.
- Add the parmesan pieces to the pestle and grind down into the basil mix.
- Pour in the olive oil and work the pesto mix together with the mortar unit it is to the texture you prefer. I love my pesto to still rough texture, I prefer not to grind to a smooth paste.
- To serve, fold over freshly cooked pasta. Try serving with grilled tomatos or a scramble.