The perfect spring and summer salad with great textures and robust flavours. Black beluga Lentils have been one of my memorable new foods. I love the fresh earthy flavours of the dish when beetroot is added. I had a few friends coming over for a Sunday afternoon BBQ. The ideal time to try out this new recipe… It went down a treat. This recipe is not hard to do and worth every effort.
Black Beluga Lentil Salad with Roasted Beetroot, Honey Pecans and Goats Cheese
This is a perfect summer lentil salad with roasted beetroot with great textures and robust flavours. Black beluga Lentils have been one of my memorable new foods. I love the fresh earthy flavours of the dish when beetroot is added. I had a few friends coming over for a Sunday afternoon BBQ. The ideal time to try out this new recipe. It went down a treat. This recipe is not hard to do and worth every effort.
- 2 medium Beetroot, fresh, peeled, raw
- 1 tbsp vinegar, Balsamic (!)
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup Lentil, Black Beluga, Dried
- 1 1/2 cups Stock, vegetable (!)
- 2/3 cup Pecan, raw
- 1 tbsp Honey, Raw
- 150 g Cheese, goat
- 100 g Rocket, fresh Leaves (!)
- 1 handful Mint, raw
- 1 handful Parsley, continental, raw
- 1 pinch Salt, Fine Pink Himalayan
- 1 pinch Peppercorn, Cracked Black
- 2 tbsp vinegar, Balsamic (!)
- 4 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove Garlic, peeled, raw
How to prepare
- Preheat your oven to 180 degC. Roughly cut the beetroot into irregular shaped pieces no thicker than 1cm. Place in a bowl and add 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar and 1 tablespoon Olive oil. Toss then bake for 25 minutes. Turn in the pan then bake for another 20 minutes until the edges brown. Put aside to cool when cooked.
- Rinse the Black Beluga Lentils then add to a saucepan with the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes until tender but still al dente. Strain the lentils and put aside.
- Dry roast the pecans in a frying pan, tossing regularly for about 4 minutes on medium-high heat. Remove from the heat then add the honey to the pan and stir pecans to coat. Remove honey pecans to a plate. Keep the honeyed pan to make dressing.
- To make the dressing, add 4 tablespoons of the oil to the pan with the garlic. Warm on low and stir to soften and mix in the honey. Remove and cool. Add the Balsamic. Add the lentils, mint and parsley into the dressing and stir together well.
- To finish off, get a large flat plate, cover with the rocket. Top with the dressed lentils. Top with the roasted beetroot, honey pecans and small chunks of goats cheese. Finish with a pinch of salt and pepper.